There are several free DNA assemblers available on the web. We need to use some of them. Your homework is to find them, and identify its primary characteristics.
Specifically, we need to know for each program:
- The name of the program
- Web address of the official description. Just the URL.
- What kind of DNA assembler: greedy, Overlay-Layout-Consensus, De Bruijn Graph, or other
- What file formats can it handle as input: FASTQ, PHRED, etc.
- What file formats produces as output.
- Web address where to download it (or how to get it)
- In which operating system does it work (Microsoft Windows, MacOS, Linux)
You can work in groups, but the report should be personal. We evaluate your writing. Use good English.
- First, write a draft without caring about good English. The goal is to put everything in the first draft. Later you will drop most of it.
- Organize the document structure. Metadata, sections, figures, tables, lists, etc.
- Use your own words. No copy-and-paste. That is
plagiarism, that is illegal.
- Two days ago, in Austria, a Minister resigned because of plagiarism.
- Include references to the documents where you got the information.
- In the second stage, you improve the draft. Use the spell correction
of your editor. Be sure to select “English” as the document language.
Correct all spelling errors before moving on.
- Google Documents is free and can help you to write good English based on its machine learning. It can even check the grammar, and that is good.
- In the third stage, you use Grammarly to check the grammar. English grammar is very different from Turkish grammar, so it is good to use all help possible.
- Grammarly has a free version. No need to pay.
- Finally, if you are the kind of person who writes long sentences, please use Hemingwayapp to evaluate each phrase and see if they are easy or hard to read.
- Remember that there is always space after dot and comma, and never before.
- Send me the source (Word, Google Doc, Markdown), not PDF.